You’ve heard all the hype about replacing your usual white rice with white quinoa, but do you know the existence of Red Quinoa?
What is Red Quinoa?
Red Quinoa, as the name suggests, is a red grain packed with protein and amino acids unlike wheat and rice. It is known to be rich in lysine, aiding healthy tissue growth in the body. Despite typically being prepared like rice, red quinoa can be used as a baking grain and addition to salads. Hence, its abundant uses makes it particularly popular with health enthusiasts.
How is it different from “white” quinoa?
There is no obvious difference between red and white quinoa aside from their colors. But a whole grain expert, Maria Speck, insists that there are nuanced differences:
“Quinoa comes in many different colors, with white, red, and black being the most commonly cultivated. There are slight differences in cooking times and chewiness; white quinoa, which you will most often find in stores, is the mildest and least crunchy, and cooks up the fastest, in 10 to 15 minutes. Black is on the other end of the spectrum—it might need 5 minutes or so longer and is the crunchiest of the three with red somewhere in the middle.”
“But, as with all grains, there can also be variations depending on how old your quinoa is; then the white one might also take longer to cook and be more crunchy.”
Read more about Red and White Quinoa’s nutritional values HERE!
What are the health benefits of Red Quinoa? (Source: The Super Foods)
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels. Lysine found in red quinoa helps with tissue repair and growth.
- Keeps you full and more satisfied than white rice. High protein and fiber content in red quinoa delays gastric emptying.
- A rich source of protein for vegans and vegetarians who do not consume meat.
- Provides us with 10% daily value of iron, it is low in fat and contains only healthy unsaturated fat that helps to keep cholesterol levels low and helps maintain heart health.
- Is Gluten-free, hence it is suitable for those who cannot eat gluten-rice foods and who avoid dairy products.
- Has a high manganese content that helps regulate blood sugar levels and maintain strong and healthy bones.
- Easy to digest and can make a good diet for diabetics too for it contains a low glycemic index.